Posted to rec.woodworking
Meanie[_4_] Meanie[_4_] is offline

Default Handheld CNC

On 8/27/2016 1:47 AM, Leon wrote:
whit3rd wrote:
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 8:53:15 AM UTC-7, SBH wrote:
Anyone see this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0clzXWSaCw

(1) it requires you have a computer model of your project (good luck
getting it to trim a cabinet to fit against your old plastered wall)

And it will not bake Sunday's dinner.

(2) it measures against tapes that you have to buy as supplies, presumably from
the manufacturer (recall cheap printers with pricy ink cartridges?)

Yes. I recall many making similar comments about the Domino tenons. They
will be expensive. They can be but the smaller ones, the size that I am on
my 3rd case of 1800 dominos, compared closely in cost as biscuits.

(3) it registers on tapes that you apply, presumably they have to be
straight and on a perfectly flat surface? Won't happen outdoors in wind, or
on a jobsite with sawhorses under a sheet of plywood.

Videos reveal tat the tape can be crooked, not parallel to other strips,
and the table does not have to be straight. The unit is mapping the dots
and memorizing where they are.

(4) not sure how a vision system will work with the sawdust flying everywhere, but
good lighting will have to be part of the solution

It does not appear to have had any dust issues in any of the videos that I
watched and there appears to be a shield that will capture the debris an
vent it out to a vac hose.

Best use of this will take up a big shopspace, and I don't have one.
Space, that is (nor tool).

I can see it working out for me on small sections of a project and possibly
save me hours of tedious work with another piece of equipment. I can see
it being great for making groves and rabbets for drawers. Or counter
sinking slots to allow a bolt head and washer to fit below the surface of
the material. Currently I am doing that procedure with a Domino joiner.

It appears to me it would do most of what a regular router would do
without the requirement of guides and templates.