Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Auto phone calls, when the utilities have issue?

On 27/08/2016 07:51, Rod Speed wrote:

Makes no sense to have to sign up, makes a lot more sense to have the
system call all the places in the area which will be affected.

How are they going to find the telephone numbers to ring? In a typical
UK street there may be a dozen different companies providing the
telephone service and each has to legally protect their customers data.
Many phone users chose not to have their telephone numbers published and
definitely don't want it shared to a third party.

Any such system has to be opt in.

That's not correct with urgent maintenance.

In a typical UK street there may be a dozen different companies
supplying the electricity and gas. For instance I live in the SE of
England but pay for my energy by way of a Scottish company. The company
responsible for the maintenance of the infrastructure don't have legal
access to personal information about gas/electricity customers and they
don't necessarily tell the billing suppliers about any work.

Many of the utility companies don't have very good customer service
record and I wouldn't trust them to tell customers about planned work in
a timely manner.

Sure, but it isnt feasible to expect everyone to have that sort of thing
setup for warnings about urgent maintenance to the power or water
supply etc.

As there is no such facility for power or water in the UK for the
majority of consumers there is little point in discussing problems that
don't exist.