Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default measuring devis

Johnny B Good Wrote in message:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 00:57:33 +0100, jim wrote:

"NY" Wrote in message:
"TheChief" wrote in message
jim k Wrote in message:
Robin Wrote in message:
On 26/08/2016 12:05, fred wrote:
I want to measure the width of a groove which is only about 3.5mm
wide and 1-3 mm deep.
Ordinary Mitutoyo calipers with pointed tips are not much good for
this application due to the shallow nature of the groove.

Any suggestions ?

If the profile of the groove is rectangular (or near enough) the
technique I was taught was to measure with, and express the result
in units of, strips torn from Players No 6 packs

:-)
+/- a cock hair?

Depends whether he's fair-haired, brown-haired, ginger or black. The
diameter of hairs varies with colour, apparently - I forget which
colours tend to have the finest and coarsest hairs. Applies to head
hair, but I'm sure it's true for *any* body hair :-)

Now you're just splitting hairs, surely?

I've only ever heard the tolerance expressed as "Give or take a Gnat's
dick". No need to worry about hair colouring when the tolerance is given
as a Gnat's dick. :-)

However, ISTR occasionally hearing a variation of that phrase where
"Gnat's" is replaced by "Midge's" which I've always assumed was simply
Scotch for "Gnat".

If a Midge *is* actually a bigger version of a Gnat, I suppose that
could account for the variations in tightness/slackness of fit in joints
made up from these measurements. I've always assumed the phrase simply
meant any tolerance errors were so immeasurably small as to not matter.

Whoosh!;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----