Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default Linksys WRT54GS wireless router occasionally drops to 1.0 Mbps and stays there.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 15:27:30 -0700 Jeff Liebermann
wrote in Message id: :

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 13:07:06 -0400, JW wrote:

As the Subject says: I have a Linksys WRT54GS v.2 wireless router which
occasionally drops to 1.0 Mbps and stays there. Signal strength still
shows excellent. Can't even ping the router via a wireless connection when
it happens. Great fun when I'm throwing a bid in at the last moment on
eBay.

I have to unplug the thing for it to recover.

Happens once a day or so, but sometimes not for several days or more.
Wired connections work fine.

Firmware version: v4.71.4

Current firmware is:
WRT54GS_4.71.4.001_fw,2.bin
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=643052
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=20701&sid=e2141ada1089e4d9835e4103 538b2801

There seems to be a number of complaints out there on this, but no
solutions.
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php...dropping.6854/
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r139...wn-to-1-0-Mbps
https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wir...bps/td-p/15913

Checking the update page, there's no firmware updates. Funny, there used
to be... Maybe they pulled the plug on this model?
http://www.linksys.com/us/support-ar...icleNum=148629

Thanks.

It's been many years since I've seen that phenomenon and it's quite
real. It's a bug in the firmware that runs the radio section. The
problem is that the easily replaceable firmware such as DD-WRT
operates mostly on layer 3, while the wireless card operates on layer
2. For alternative firmware, the layer 2 stuff is supplied by Linksys
in the form of a linkable library that can't be tweaked. This might
be why firmware transplants haven't done anything to fix the problem
and why only some WRT54G and GS v2 boxes have the problem.

It's been many years since the WRT54GS was in fashion. There has been
considerable progress in wireless chips, antennas, router features,
acronyms, and aerodynamic packaging. You might want to consider a
newer wireless router.

Thank you for that Jeff. I think you may be right. Have any good
reasonably priced recommendations?