Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Sealer tape

newshound wrote:

Caravans are notoriously difficult to seal and, once there is a
measurable amount of damp in them, there's little you can do without a
major strip and re-built. BTDTGTTS! The damp wood will go on rotting
even - in the unlikely event - that you *can* stop any more getting in.

How long are you intending to keep it? The options are to spend a *lot*
of money on it and then keep it for at least another 10 years or unload
it now - so that it becomes someone else's problem.

I understand what you are saying. My last van managed 25 years,
despite having had a leak or two early on which I fixed, and
lived with some spongy timber afterwards.

I am sticking with a moderate reaction to a potential problem.

Don't disagree with what Roger says, but I'd have thought either the
aluminium waterproofing or clear weatherproofing tapes made by Sylglas
would be relatively cheap and easy options, and should at least sort out
that joint.

Indeed

When you say "raised damp readings", do you mean resistance measurements
on timber or timber-like internal cladding? I've not much regard for
these instruments in checking damp walls, and in your case might be
indicating condensation especially if the cladding has become a bit
porous with age.

You might be right. I did have high readings under the front
window. After trying various "cures" re-sealing the roof light
seemed to fix it.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK