Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_6_] John B.[_6_] is offline

Default Seven years of metalworking. I am humbled

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 15:44:08 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 19:36:14 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2016-08-19, Ignoramus25500
On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com
wrote:
Boris Mohar fired this volley in
:

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

Hmmm... I see a LOT of work there, but nothing that would 'humble'
even
dollar-wage mechanic. It's just a lot of work -- not a thing that
could
be
considered especially innovative, or requiring special skills.

The totality of it, all together, is what makes it humbling.

However, I will moderate my praise until I see this boat sail and
operate in real world conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayKOlLhlQsc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6TYQZd0HPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdf5iHQnU1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLdXEwhsDiM

and this too

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/MAB1514.pdf

Was it expected to not sink? It's real ugly too, so no loss either there.

This is exactly my sentiment.

I was happy to read that the boat maker went bankrupt due to this
accident. The $10 million boat was a total loss.

I bet the insurance company declined to pay, which is perfectly legal
and expected, given the cause.

Joe Gwinn

How the hell was that piece of junk 10 million?

It's not the hull, it's all the fancy stuff within, none of which
survives being soaked in sea water.

Even if you factor in the really bad taste, what would you even stuff in
that top-heavy mess worth many millions of dollars? A whole bunch of
chandeliers and rare paintings? A fleet of helicopters?

If the shipyard hadn't become scatterbrained and had managed to get the
ballasting right, the boat probably would have been exactly what the
owner wanted.

I'm still quite pleased that thing sank instantly.

Wouldn't you like to see the stability calculations for that tub? d8-)

There is a pretty detailed report, including righting moments at
http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/MAB1514.pdf
as mentioned above.
--
cheers,