Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default Auto woofer

I took the back of my back seat out of my car and was surprised to see
that I have a woofer!

It has 4 wires running down the cone, two on each side. Is that
because it has 2 voice coils, one for the left channel and one for the
right? So it can combine the signals audibly but not electrically,
because if they mixed here, they would get mixed on all the other
speakers too?

But couldn't they do that in the woofer amplifier and use a standar
speaker with only one voice coil?

Also one pair of wires, unplugged from the car, has 32 ohms between
them, and the other pair has 2.5. That's a bad sign, isn't it?

I wish I'd noticed this before I spent $25 for a new foam surround,
but the I bought that before taking the speaker out, and since the
speaker was facing me, I couldn't see this.

How good do you think it will sound with only one channel? Will I
keep steering the car towards the side of the road?