Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT ICE engined cars to be banned in Netherlands?

On 24/08/16 09:28, Nightjar wrote:
On 24-Aug-16 8:04 AM, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 23 August 2016 09:33:34 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 23-Aug-16 6:50 AM, harry wrote:
On Monday, 22 August 2016 21:28:49 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/08/2016 18:51, harry wrote:
Acceleration in electric cars is excellent.

Well, that's true of a Tesla. But they're kind of expensive. What does
yours do?

Dunno.
But it's ahead of ICE cars from the traffic lights.
(Max accelaration is from rest unlike ICE cars)

If you look at the data sheets your link leads to, the Leaf has a
0-62mph of 11.5 seconds. I haven't driven a car that slow since the
1960s. You might start rolling a bit quicker, but it is still quite
mediocre performance.

Colin Bignell

Tch.
The electric motor has maximum torque at zero rpm unlike an ICE.

Unlike an electric car, my car doesn't start from zero RPM. I get
maximum torque in the range 1,600 - 2,800 rpm and it will very quickly
be doing that if I am trying for maximum acceleration from rest.

Actually of course an electric motor does not necessarily have maximum
torque at zero RPM. Not if you want to keep it from melting.

The 0-60 time is neither here nor there in urban situations. As most
have a 30mph speed limit.

If you looked at 0-10mph or 0-20 mph, that would have some bearing.

Figures that are not published, so we can only look at 0-62mph. However,
to give a practical example, do you think you could out-accelerate a 4.2
litre E type Jaguar? That is a car that is only a few tenths of a second
faster to 60mph than my 2 litre diesel estate car.

Josef Stalin