Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Energy supplier wants to fit Smart Meters - good?

On 23/08/2016 14:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
mike wrote :
I see they use a 'phone-type WAN to send the data to supplier - good
if secure I suppose.

OVO installed SM's here in June...

Pro
1. You know exactly what your consumption is second by second on the
indoor display.
2. You know exactly what your consumption was every 30min, per day, per
week, month recorded/ stored via their web site.
3. You no longer need to look at the readings and let them know, they
are uploaded every night.

But why would you want to ?. I read my meter regularly, at the same
time and write the value and date on a bit of paper next to the meter.
I know exactly what my daily consumption is summer and winter. All
done with a biro.

Unless they intend to enforce differential charging that varies
unpredictably with supply vs load, I cannot see any point in a
smart meter. It will of course be very useful to collect the
'missing' fuel duty from people who have bought electric cars
with the sole aim to save money, since it will know what
devices are using power.