Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default A bit OT but something most of us have in our shops.

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 8:42:14 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 8/23/2016 7:02 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 2:58:52 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 6:18:46 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]
We appear to have a difference in terminology here. What is your
definition of a "crescent wrench"?

Where I grew up a Crescent wrench was the most well known brand name
for an adjustable wrench as shown he

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1Tj3HRVIeL.jpg

Specific sized wrenches, even if made by Crescent were "open end" or
"box" wrenches.

If someone said "Hand me the Crescent wrench", you knew they meant
the adjustable wrench.

"My bad", then. I knew Crescent was an old manufacturer, and I
thought it was a generic term for "open-ended wrench". What you call
a Crescent wrench, I was brought up with as a "pipe wrench". I
probably would not have used the term Crescent until I was exposed to it a few weeks ago.
I'll be careful in the future! By the way, I have an old set of these:

Don't worry, there is no "my bad" here. :-)

What there is is kind a of a mix-up between types of wrenches and manufacturer's names, which I am guilty of also.

Crescent makes all kinds of wrenches, adjustable, open end, box, etc. If someone was brought seeing open end wrenches made by Crescent, it would make sense that that is what they call a crescent wrench. I grew up with adjustables by Crescent, so that's what stuck with me.

Now, I do have to say that I've never known an adjustable wrench of the type I am speaking of to be called a pipe wrench. A pipe wrench is adjustable, but it's a totally different animal, both in terms of design and operation. The movable jaw of a pipe has a very specific reason for being "sloppy". It's
designed that way so that grips the round surface of a pipe when force is applied.

This is pipe wrench:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_17373.jpg

Or a "Stillson Wrench"

As opposed to a Monkey Wrench...