Posted to uk.d-i-y
News News is offline

Default Varnishing bare wood Windsor-like chair

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
I have a large bare-wood Windsor chair,
made (rather well) in a local carpenter's workshop.
I'd like to varnish it or treat it with a similar wood finish.
Any recommendations?
I don't want to go to a huge amount of trouble,
and I don't really like polyurethane.
I'm thinking of something like Danish oil?

I had some old Ercol dining chairs dip stripped, and finished them with
Danish Oil. Delighted with the results. Probably 20 years ago now, so
cannot remember the exact process, but plenty of fine wire wool and
several coats of oil. I think I applied the final coat of oil using
fine wire wool. The results were stunning - far better than I expected.
The chairs are still in regular use.
--
Graeme