Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default A bit OT but something most of us have in our shops.

On 2016-08-22 8:07 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/22/2016 3:15 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:

But the nice thing about Snap-On and, I think, MATCO is that they
have a
mortgage loan officer right there on the sales truck. VERY convenient.

Absolutely! LOL Most mechanics have as much invested in their tools
as they do their homes. ;~)

I was just explaining to a family member just HOW FAR a 3/8" and 1/2"
ratchet set (and sockets), a set of imperial size and metric crescent
wrenches and a set of screw drivers go. You could probably have all of
the above for probably less than $150 (Craftsman). What more do those
fancier names do for you? I mean, there seems to be much decreasing
marginal utility. None of these tools have either broke nor bent, but I
did get a 3/8" ratchet that had issues from the start (it was replaced).
None have the least signs of rust either.

The fancier names have the distinction of not having to be competitively
priced. Add to that you don't have to go to the store to have a broken
tool replaced, the rep comes to your work place, although you have to
wait a week. ;~) And these are top notch tools that with daily use may
never wear out.

And ultimately the guy selling you the top notch tools knows what he is
talking about, he has quite an investment too.

But for you and me just about any decent brand will do.

The Snap-On dealer who came by our shop would fight tooth and nail when
it came to warranty claims, always tried to blame the worker. Yes they
did break and under normal use.

Yes all brands break and SnapOn has an exception clause. If it breads
because it was worn out it is not normally covered.

Sears, on the other hand, never questioned, just replaced. Of course
that was in their prime, sadly those days are gone.

Well In most cases the Craftsman are used mostly by home owners and some
pro's. It is likely if a Craftsman breaks it is not worn out. SnapOn is
rarely bought by a homeowner that uses his tools occasionally.