Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default A bit OT but something most of us have in our shops.

wrote:
A friend has the bigger, wider, larger Milwaukee tool boxes. The kind
you bought except twice as tall and twice as wide and twice as deep.

Wow 120" tall and 36" deep, does he have it in a barn and use a ladder to
get to the top box?

Craftsman makes some huge tool boxes like it. Not sure where the big
Milwaukee tool boxes were made.

Vietnam

But would guess not China. They are quality, as you described. I believe
many years ago Made in Vietnam was common on stuff. Made in Vietnam was
the precursor to Made in China. Guessing the relevant size of China made
Vietnam disappear. I have several Craftsman tool boxes. Drawers are not
ball bearing so the big heavy drawers take a lot of effort to open.
Otherwise nothing but good things to say about Craftsman tool boxes. If I
was buying new I'd look at Home Depot and Lowes offerings on tool boxes.
As well as Craftsman. Lowes has their Kobalt brand in a pretty blue color.

Craftsmen has better offerings but still offer pretty crappy stuff. You
have to pay about double to get the equivalent to its competition. For
home use most all of the HD, Lowe's, Craftsman boxes are good but if you
move the boxes to other locations, transport by truck, you really should
empty or remove the drawers. It is not a stretch to load them up to near
capacity and the bouncing and lifting puts strain on them that they are not
designed to handle. For brands like Matco or SnapOn their weight capacity
is 3-4 times more, 6-8 thousand pounds. Mechanics buying these brands
typically change jobs often and the boxes have to survive the moves.