Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default A bit OT but something most of us have in our shops.

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 6:18:46 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 4:15:59 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
But the nice thing about Snap-On and, I think, MATCO is that they have a
mortgage loan officer right there on the sales truck. VERY convenient.

Absolutely! LOL Most mechanics have as much invested in their tools
as they do their homes. ;~)
I was just explaining to a family member just HOW FAR a 3/8" and 1/2"
ratchet set (and sockets), a set of imperial size and metric crescent
wrenches and a set of screw drivers go. You could probably have all of
the above for probably less than $150 (Craftsman). What more do those
fancier names do for you? I mean, there seems to be much decreasing
marginal utility. None of these tools have either broke nor bent, but I
did get a 3/8" ratchet that had issues from the start (it was replaced).
None have the least signs of rust either.
"a set of imperial size and metric crescent wrenches"

Yeah, I gotta get a metric crescent wrench one of these days. The
imperial size one just won't adjust to those pesky mm sized nuts. ;-)

Little sanity tip: Keep the metric tools in a separate toolbox.

I had a job this summer where I Really Needed two 1/2" crescent wrenches
at the same time. That doesn't happen much. Well, I thought I did, it
turned out it wasn't necessary to remove those nuts--which were real
buggers! I did'nt like hitting my crescent wrench with a hammer (I
covered it with a rag first).

We appear to have a difference in terminology here. What is your definition of
a "crescent wrench"?

Where I grew up a Crescent wrench was the most well known brand name
for an adjustable wrench as shown he

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1Tj3HRVIeL.jpg

Specific sized wrenches, even if made by Crescent were "open end" or
"box" wrenches.

If someone said "Hand me the Crescent wrench", you knew they meant
the adjustable wrench.

"My bad", then. I knew Crescent was an old manufacturer, and I thought
it was a generic term for "open-ended wrench". What you call a Crescent
wrench, I was brought up with as a "pipe wrench". I probably would not
have used the term Crescent until I was exposed to it a few weeks ago.
I'll be careful in the future! By the way, I have an old set of these:

http://alloy-artifacts.org/Photos/to...pped_inset.jpg