Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default A bit OT but something most of us have in our shops.

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 4:40:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 4:15:59 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

I was just explaining to a family member just HOW FAR a 3/8" and 1/2"
ratchet set (and sockets), a set of imperial size and metric crescent
wrenches and a set of screw drivers go. You could probably have all
of the above for probably less than $150 (Craftsman). What more do
those fancier names do for you? I mean, there seems to be much
decreasing marginal utility. None of these tools have either broke
nor bent, but I did get a 3/8" ratchet that had issues from the start
(it was replaced). None have the least signs of rust either.

"a set of imperial size and metric crescent wrenches"

Yeah, I gotta get a metric crescent wrench one of these days. The
imperial size one just won't adjust to those pesky mm sized nuts. ;-)

Mine's imperial on one side and metric on the other. I can only loosen
metric nuts or tighten imperial ones. I'm still trying to find it's
mate, but it seems they're all the same way!

Puckdropper

I like it!

Actually, that's not as far fetched as it sounds.

Crescent makes a 2 ended wrench: Adjustable on one end with
a pass-through socket handle on the other. The idea sounded good
until I noticed that the pass-through sockets are combination
sockets which they claim fit both imperial and metric. Any time
I see anything that tries to act like X-Tools-In-One, I back
away slowly.