Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default OT ICE engined cars to be banned in Netherlands?

On Monday, 22 August 2016 12:02:47 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"harry" wrote in message
On Sunday, 21 August 2016 11:12:53 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/08/16 10:58, charles wrote:
In article , tim...

wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Saturday, 20 August 2016 08:40:52 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
I expect all those in the eu who live neer a pwoer station which is
where the increase in pollution will go, to take action if this
goes
on.

Its a bit like taking all your awkward to dispose of waste to Africa
to keep it out of your own back yard. Brian

Most electric cars will be charged at home, by night. It's the only
way
the system could stand it.

As I have pointed out to various people several times, that would
require
a complete change in house building policy to work

This preference of developers to build estate with communal parking
get better land utilisation), and for people to convert their integral
garages into living rooms would have to stop.

all houses would have to be supplied with a proper garage and planning
rules would have to forbid conversion, otherwise people wont have the
facilities to charge up at home - Charging up on the street,
unguarded,
overnight just isn't going to work.

Communal car parks with charging points would work fine. They already
exist in parts of Norway/Sweden to provide power for engine heaters.
There
is no basic reason why roadside parking meters could be conveted into
power
outlets. There's the underlying infrastructure, of course, but it could
be
done.

for decent charge rates - e.g, a 1 hour charge on a 50Kwh battery you
need some hefty infrastructure.

Not saying its not possible, over a period of time, but its not cheap
and it isn't that simple.

Will rollout similar to broadband I'd say - 20 years or so.

I think that with nuclear power we are on the cusp. 1 hour fast charge
means that you can use e.g supermarkets equipped with power points.

If we could get a real 100 mile range and fast charge - under an hour -
then its not ideal, but a lot of people would say that that is an
acceptable performance for the vast majority of urban/suburban trips
which are indeed school run supermarket etc.

Of course it would have to be cost effective too. And the loss of tax
income from falling fuel sales would be a problem.

Why do you drivel on about your theories?
The facts are right here.

https://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/leaf/charging-range.html?&cid=psmeXItRlaP_dc|U

Electric cars are beyond this point already.

Experience of users in the real world is that quoted ranges are up to 50%
overestimates when used in real conditions

FTAOD, the same is true for liquid fuelled cars, of course.

I would say more like 20%.
And the battery deteriorates with use.