Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ohger1s@gmail.com is offline

Default Recommendations for Failed Samsung Power Supply?

On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 12:11:15 PM UTC-4, KenO wrote:
ohg,

"Samsung, their LED TVs are killing LEDs in the display in wholesale numbers. The last one we did had only 11 out of 44 still working (after I jumped out the open one that caused the shutdown). 32 LEDs shorted and one open after 2 years of service. THAT is crappy design and/or part selection."

Have not checked the display LEDs yet. Could bad LEDs have caused the 47uF cap to fail?

If yes seems like necessary to protect the display LEDs.

Did see mention about turning down the display level.

NO! NO! NO! You're overthinking this again!!

It's simply a rectified and filtered AC supply. They've been building power supplies this way since the 1920s. It's simple and foolproof. Your rectifier is good, your cap is bad. The only external factor that could have caused your cap to fail is a weak or open neutral in your house's wiring that doubled the input voltage. But if that happened, you would notice other things, like light bulbs exploding..

Again, the cap in your TV was likely just a bad run of caps at least, and a poorly spec'd cap at most. Nothing caused it to fail, nor will the failed cap damage any LEDs. Further, shorted LEDs won't harm your AC bridge capacitor.

On a totally different subject, YES, lowering the back light in the menu (particularly in LED TVs) will extend the life of the back light exponentially. When I repair LED TVs for failed back lights, I always modify the LED drive circuit so that the LED array runs between 30 and 40 percent lower in wattage regardless of where the customer sets it or if it defaults back to full brightness. Customers don't notice and I don't have to worry about them coming back in warranty.