Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tricky Dicky[_4_] Tricky Dicky[_4_] is offline

Default Where to put a new master phone socket

When we went fibre nothing was changed in the house or between the house and cabinet. All we got was a call from the Openreach engineer before starting the work at the cabinet and a test call when he finished. As far as changing faceplates on the NTE5 socket that was down to the consumer or the consumers provider. In our case Sky only provide plug in filters so we provided our own VDSL faceplate.

As far as doing your own work on the Openreach side of the master socket, I doubt they would know unless something was not connected properly. Openreach use quite a few contractors and I do not think too much is recorded. We had a pole replaced recently by a contractor. One engineer made all the disconnections when reconnecting he changed some of the anchor fixtures using sausage like junction boxes where cables no longer reached. He changed a junction box on our wire which was located on a fascia board we were intending to replace, I did not see any record keeping of any changes.

Incidentally Openreach will not talk to any end user regards rerouting wires it all has to be done through your provider. At my daughters new build the builder put in all the underground trunking pavement boxes and the wiring Openreach only did the final connections and it took 3 months before that happened. Inside the house the builder provided a simple extension socket near the entry point and an exterior connection box which was to be the equivalent of the master socket was to be fitted. In the end Openreach fitted a standard NTE5 socket internally and must have used some sort of junction box hidden in the trunking since the original wire coming up the conduit was a black sheathed cable yet the wire coming out of the trunking to the NTE5 is white sheathed.

Richard