Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_5_] bert[_5_] is offline

Default Where to put a new master phone socket

In article , Clive Page
writes
On 20/08/2016 09:20, Tim Lamb wrote:
My very recent experience is that having your master socket next to the
router can double the download speed.

Yes, I thought it was standard practice now to put the router right
next to the master socket.

That gives us a problem in upgrading to use FTTC, as I assume it would
involve putting an ugly new box on the wall near the master socket
which is currently in the hallway, as was common practice 30 years ago.
Unfortunately there's no mains socket nearby except a single one on the
other side of a doorway (and that's needed from time to time for a
vacuum cleaner). Does anyone know whether OpenReach are willing to
install a new master socket in a new location if one upgrades to FTTC
without charging an arm and a leg?

They id it f-o-c for me - exactly the same scenario. There is a cable
length limit (15 metres?)
--
bert