Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_5_] bert[_5_] is offline

Default Where to put a new master phone socket

In article , rick
writes
On 8/20/2016 9:18 AM, Andy Burns wrote:

BT prefer to terminate direct onto master socket, and as long as this
is within a metre or so of point of entry they will do that.
Further than that they will charge.

When I went over to FTTC OR engineer moved my master socket to the other
end of the house f-o-c. ISTR the limit was about 15 meters BICBW.
Any joint can result in degradation of signal - however you are
unlikely to notice this.

If where you want master socket is a long way form point of entry they
would normally terminate in a box and then run cable to the master
socket.

As someone mentioned this would be in a 'lozenge' shaped box

Anything before the master socket, including the terminal box, is the
property of Openreach.
Legally only they can work on this.
However records are not up to date - you could move and as long as it
is done with correct terminations, unlikely to ever be queried.

The recommend answer if asked was to say your guy moved it for me
....... no engineer is going to drop his mate in it.

However if not correctly terminated and incorrect cable - then you will
be charged in the event of a fault.

--
bert