Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] poohgirl0315@gmail.com is offline

Default Do NOT PUT Fabric Softener in the BLEACH Dispenser!!

On Monday, February 10, 2014 at 8:06:36 AM UTC-5, willshak wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
After two years of pouring the directed amount of both concentrated
and regular liquid fabric softener into the bleach dispenser
receptacle of our top-load washing machine, something started happening:

Bleach no longer followed the correct path into the fill-stream of
water entering the machine! Instead, it simply overflowed the
sub-tray(underneath the marked receptacle) and spilled directly onto
laundry in the drum. Enough bleach remained in that sub-tray to
spill over onto non-bleach(colored) loads, ruining 3 of my wife's
favorite pants!!

I had to remove the top receptacle, soak up all the liquid that had
accumulated in the sub-tray, and wait a couple hours for it to dry.
After that, I was able to scrape out nearly ONE-EIGHTH INCH of solid
accumulated fabric softener from the bottom of that tray. I used a
toothpick to remove additional crud from the slit that feeds the
channel at the top of the drum that carries bleach around the top of
the drum to mix with the in-stream of water filling the washer.

I then put the empty washer on rinse cycle, and poured one cup of hot
water from my K-Cup machine into the bleach sub-tray, to really clean
it out.

What a FU%$!#@ING MESS!!

So much for following the directions on the label. From now on, we
are diluting our fabric softener with water and pouring it directly
into the machine while it is filling water for a load cycle. After
we run out, we will buy only the laundry detergent that combines
fabric softener.

And the only thing going into the bleach dispenser is BLEACH - and a
once-yearly flush with 190degree water.

Fabric softener - what a damn RIPOFF anyway. They didn't have "fabric
thoftener" - la de dahh - in WW2!! And their clothes came out fine!

sheesh...

Hi,
?????, how come bleach was poured into wrong place?
I don't get it. They are marked.

**** happens. I did that once but in reverse. I started putting the
softener in the bleach tray but caught my mistake after a small amount
was dispensed. Don't daydream while doing laundry. When you get older,
you'll understand.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I just accidentally poured fabric softener into the bleach tray because I was distracted. Sounds like one time won't kill the washer at least.