Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Robinson Steve Robinson is offline

Default Wood Movement: Is this a typo?

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:08:38 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 8:02:13 AM UTC-4, Doug Miller
wrote:
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
news:57b3d4d7$0$44625 :

krw wrote in
news
When my biscuit jointer was new, that's the first thing I
tried doing. It didn't work out so well. Too much slop in
the joint. The biscuit was pretty much useless. The
jointer has now been used *once* and it'll likely stay that
way until my heirs sell it on ebay.

Has anyone ever tried those hinges that are mortised out with
a bisquick joiner? Just wondering if that might be a handy
use for it, rather than a dust collector.

Is a bisquick joiner something you use in the kitchen? ;-)

I used mine, right after I got it, for a couple of panel
glue-ups, and concluded that it provided no advantage over
edge-gluing and clamping -- in fact, it took longer, was more
work, and produced sloppier results.

Sloppier in what respect?

There's enough play in the biscuit slots, and enough variability
in the thickness of individual biscuits, to allow for noticeable
misalignment in an edge-to-edge glue-up, enough to leave a ridge
that's too big to remove with just a few passes with a card
scraper. I found that I can get better alignment, faster, without
the biscuits.

Then your either using wrong sized biscuits , wrong size blade the
machine incorrectly or the machine has a fault .