Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Desktop computer question

The problem with the RAM situation is that AIUI this is the max a 32
bit XP install will recognize.

Oh that's right, I forgot about that limitation.

This mobo is capable of 64 bit, but as you say, it is pretty old,
so I guess maybe it's time to either build a new unit

If you're on a budget and don't need the latest tech, you can find lots of
CPU and motherboard combinations on Ebay. That's where I always sell my old
components. You could probably get some fairly recent parts for $100-200.

maybe go to 7/64 bit

That's what I'm running on my desktop. It's fast and stable and just works
well.

I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop (that I rarely use), but there were
just enough quirky differences that I decided to stay with Windows 7 on my
desktop.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com