Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default OT ICE engined cars to be banned in Netherlands?

On Saturday, 20 August 2016 13:39:42 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Friday, 19 August 2016 22:32:50 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 14:25:56 -0700, harry wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...e/netherlands-
petrol-car-ban-law-bill-to-be-passed-reduce-climate-change-emissions-
a7197136.html

All cars to be electric.

Well, that's a bit of a leap. Banning sale, not use.

And not until 2025.

And the legislation is not a certainty.

If the legislation goes through, I presume the Netherlands will invest
heavily in recharging points. Hopefully by 2025 battery technology will have
improved enough for people to be able to make long journeys by electric cars
without having to stop every n-hundred miles for an overnight recharging
stop.

If I could get an electric car that had the same range (700 miles per
filling) and the same refill time (about 5 mins max for 60 litres / 700
miles) then I might consider an electric car. I wonder what they are like to
drive. I presume electric cars have a single-speed gearing between motor and
wheels, ad can set off from the motor being at rest, without needing a
variety of ratios to match a limited range of motor speeds to a wide range
of road speeds and without needing a clutch.

Do hybrid cars use mechanical transmission from the IC engine to the wheels,
or are they permanently driven by the motor, with power coming either from
the batteries or the engine driving a generator?

700 mile ranges are not even on the horizon.

There might be cars where the battery electrolyte is changed to "recharge" the battery.