Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Default Where to put a new master phone socket

Just back from the site where I discovered that things have happened in my
absence: the builders have chased in a trunking run up to above the ceiling
line and installed (though not connected) a single run of Cat 5 from the
existing front-wall junction box to what will become an AV equipment
cupboard. A second Cat 5 run goes from there to the desk area.

Are they anticipating my putting the router into the AV cupboard, perhaps?
Would that be the standard thing to do?

If so (and even if not) I can see the value of a second cable direct from
the junction box to the desk, for the phone.

They've used one stretch of the same trunking to run some speaker cable -
any problems with that arrangement?

Picture of the junction box at
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...one%20line.jpg

or http://tinyurl.com/hhkhq73

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Cost isn't the issue, being less conspicuous might be ...

I assumed it would be properly behind the walls surface...

I imagine that chased into the walls is the plan but I'll check with the
builders as to exactly what they're planning. Thanks.