Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Where to put a new master phone socket

In message ,
writes
Openreach Standard Visit Charge (first hour) 96.11 External Shift on
same building 105.60

Openreach Network Relocation will quote before doing the work
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/hom...ntactReason=re
move_relocate_external_network_equipment

We have the master socket in a corner with no possible nearby power, a
BT provided extension to under the stairs where mains feeds the cordless
phone system, then a home-provided extension upstairs to my "office",
where the current ADSL filter sits and feeds the router and other phone.
My extension cable was originally cable suitable for and put in for
ISDN, and I can't remember what it was or access it easily for a look.
Current ADSL download speed is 15Mbps.

Phone calls crackle a bit when it rains. I accosted an Openreach man
parked next door a couple of days ago. He was very friendly and helpful,
but was there only to check the pole for climbing safety, and said any
crackling would almost certainly be an underground problem.

I change from Demon ADSL to Plusnet fttc next Thursday. I asked Plusnet
about the cost of moving the master socket to either under the stairs or
to the office and was told £160, but they also said to try it first with
the existing cabling to see what speeds I got before spending anything.
--
Bill