Posted to alt.home.repair
My 2 Cents My 2 Cents is offline

Default Desktop computer question

On 8/19/2016 8:40 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

You've given me a lot to check out ... I got some studying to do .

Benchmarks... I've used this one.... type in what you have... then
what you are wanting to do... you'll get an idea of how much the
changes ought to move the numbers around, you can predetermine how much
the amount of ram, motherboard, CPUs change the values. I replaced a
core 2 with a quad core in an older Dell... just for the fun of it. For
what I do... probably not much if any difference but the benchmark went
up ! I'd update the BIOS first then make the CPU change. Check the
capacitors on the older machines, I had to change a couple on the one I
dragged home from a 2nd hand shop. It's a Dell dude... 740 Optiplex
built like an anvil. 64 bit Linux Mint on it ... how fast is it? Faster
than I'll ever need to go with it. Armchair hot rodding.
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search