Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Desktop computer question

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 10:58:02 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

HerHusband wrote:
I'm leaving the task manager open (minimized) and watching the cpu
usage, I frequently see it running over 70%, and maxed out pretty
often.

70% Sheesh, that doesn't sound right.

Mine might jump to 10% when I first open a browser or something, but
it usually sits around 2%-3%. I have an i7-4790K quad core with 16GB
RAM and Windows 7.

Have you tried cleaning your system with something like CCleaner?

How much RAM do you have in your computer?

Do you have any programs running in the background that could be
hogging processor time? The task manager should be able to tell you
which programs are using the most resources.

I'm just tired of sitting here waiting for the comp to catch up

My wife's 90 year old grandmother used to type in her username, then
go make a cup of tea while her ancient computer caught up to her eight
keypresses. Is it that bad?

figgered for under 20 bucks it's worth a try.

Well yeah, any improvement under 20 bucks is worth a try.

What are your old and new processors?

Anthony Watson

Old is an Athlon X2 2.3 Ghz , new is a Phenom X4 1.8 Ghz . I use Opera
browser , and it has gotten to the point it takes 30 seconds to a minute or
more to load . I open with 3 tabs , weather.com , startpage.com , and ebay .
Another thing that irritates is that I use Ghostery anti-tracking software ,
and it disappears every time I close the browser . Every other comp in the
house is set up the same , and that doesn't happen on any other .
I'm about to the point of just wiping this hdd and starting over except
that I have stuff that I can't save , like tax software that won't transfer
.

Just for giggles and to humor me, download and run Advanced System
Care free version from IOBit. Use custom install and don't let it add
any extras. Tell me if it isn't faster when you are done.

I have not had to "rebuild" a windows machine due to performance
issues in over 5 years - and I look after a LOT of "confusers".