Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default sewer plug

Will a sewer plug work the same as a Backwater Check Valves? And will
it cause water pressure damage to the sewer drain under the basement
floor if the drain system gets overloaded from a heavy rain fall.
Frank

A "sewer plug" is typically used to cap a clean-out. They look like this:
http://preparednessadvice.com/wp-con...12/sewer23.jpg
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...e1cdad_300.jpg
A "check valve" is used to allow fluids to flow in only one direction. They
look like this:
http://cdn.balkanplumbing.com/wp-con...ater-valve.jpg
http://www2.lsuagcenter.com/domains/.../flapcheck.gif
They are 2 completely different animals designed for 2 completely
different purposes.

I think what he means is will plugging the floor drain in his basement
that goes to the sewer stop sewage from backing up into the basement,
like a backflow valve would. The answer is yes, but it will only
stop if from coming out of that one drain, anywhere else, eg a drain
for a washing machine, would still be vulnerable. And IDK how you
put a sewer plug into a typical floor drain, the ones I've seen were
not designed to accept a plug. You might be able to get rubber
expansion type plug that would fit. I guess if you can do it and
that;s the only vulnerability, it will work.
It's not going to cause any pressure damage, there are plenty of
other places for the sewage to go.

I have heard of basement floors heaving, from plugging the drains ..
Rather than a plug - if you could seal a temporary standpipe - the
water would just rise in the standpipe to a level slightly higher than
the floor ... maybe ?
John T.