Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Wood Movement: Is this a typo?

On 08/18/2016 9:32 PM, Leon wrote:
I actually went through 2 PC plate joiners, a 556 which I bought around
1990 and much later replaced it with a 557. I literally used a few
thousand biscuits with the 556. Not so much with the 557 for the same
reasons. While the 557 looked like a Ferrari compared to the 556 it had
QC problems IMHO. It is a shame that the design was not implemented well.

The one I have is Ryobi iirc; wife bought it as a gift; I didn't have
one even on the radar at the time...

It's not the most sturdy thing in the world by any stretch and it does
take some tinkering w/ the fence to actually get it aligned, but the
thing is one doesn't need to be precisely centered; only use the same
reference side...

The noise isn't any worse than any router, less than many and for an
inexpensive tool it has very little runout. I've just never found the
biscuits to be loose in a slot; it takes pliers to get one out even
before glue.

I don't suppose I've used a bag of biscuits in the 20 yr had the tool,
but again for the occasion it works very well imo...

I sure wish I had room in my shop for a shaper. ;~)

Would never be without it...or actually, "them"...

--

---