Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Desktop computer question

In article , says...

trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 5:04:59 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Yeah , I'm still dickin' around with my desktop . I've decided it's
time
to upgrade to a quad core in this comp , Asus M2A-VM mobo , socket
AM2 currently running an Athlon X2 2.3 Ghz processor .
I have determined (from the Asus support website) that this mobo
will support a Phenom 9150 quad processor which is socket AM2+ , but
I'll have to update the BIOS . The question is , do I update before
I install the new processor or after ?

Whether it's worth this upgrade may be questionable. How much benefit
you get with a quad core versus a dual core, etc depends on how much
the code you're running can make use of it. And the MB is I guess
10+ years old, no? IDK what the new CPU costs, but for a little bit
more you might be able to get a whole used or refurbished MB with CPU
that gives you a lot more.

The cpu cost me a whole 13 bucks ... and a 1.8 Ghz quad has got to be
faster than my current 2.3Ghz dual core . I decided to try this before I
laid out the cash for a new build , hell I'm not even sure a build based on
a new mobo setup will run XP any more . The hard part is the drivers . The
latest Windows OS I will even consider is W7 , and I don't have any unused
licenses layin' around so ... it may be that a Linux-based OS will be on my
next comp . Probably Ubuntu , since I have a little experience with that one
.

For about $ 50 shipped off ebay you can get a dual core 3 ghz desktop
with win 7 pro on it.

I don't do anything that requires very much speed and have bought
several Dells off ebay over the years. Bought 2 this year with win 7
pro for about $ 140 each just to put win 10 on them. Both were suspose
to be refurbished and looked almost new inside and out.

---