Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Desktop computer question

Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 5:14:32 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 5:04:59 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs
wrote:
Yeah , I'm still dickin' around with my desktop . I've decided it's
time
to upgrade to a quad core in this comp , Asus M2A-VM mobo , socket
AM2 currently running an Athlon X2 2.3 Ghz processor .
I have determined (from the Asus support website) that this mobo
will support a Phenom 9150 quad processor which is socket AM2+ ,
but I'll have to update the BIOS . The question is , do I update
before I install the new processor or after ?

BIOS updates that I've seen are always backwards compatible, ie the
update should work with the old processor. If it won't there should
be a warning on the Asus website. So, I'd do the BIOS first, that
way if it bricks it, you don't have to go any further.

Whether it's worth this upgrade may be questionable. How much
benefit you get with a quad core versus a dual core, etc depends on
how much the code you're running can make use of it. And the MB is
I guess 10+ years old, no? IDK what the new CPU costs, but for a
little bit more you might be able to get a whole used or
refurbished MB with CPU that gives you a lot more.

The cpu cost me a whole 13 bucks ... and a 1.8 Ghz quad has got to
be faster than my current 2.3Ghz dual core . I decided to try this
before I laid out the cash for a new build , hell I'm not even sure
a build based on a new mobo setup will run XP any more . The hard
part is the drivers . The latest Windows OS I will even consider is
W7 , and I don't have any unused licenses layin' around so ... it
may be that a Linux-based OS will be on my next comp . Probably
Ubuntu , since I have a little experience with that one --
Snag

I think some folks are missing the point. It's fun to tinker and
experiment. At home I have a dozen machines loaded with different
software. I think I even have an old Apple computer somewhere. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tinker Monster

I also have an old Apple , it appears to boot but I've never found a
monitor that will plug into it - totally different plug . There are also a
couple of older comps still down in Memphis (P4's IIRC) , one a 1.5 Ghz that
has both WinXp and Ubuntu on it . The other is a 500 Mhz that I gave to my
15 yr old grandson . He says it's too slow ...
I just figgered this would be a cheaper way to have a comp that will run
the more complex and demanding software that is out there these days .
--
Snag