Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Wood Movement: Is this a typo?

On 8/18/2016 7:08 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Sloppier in what respect?

There's enough play in the biscuit slots, and enough variability
in the thickness of individual biscuits, to allow for noticeable
misalignment in an edge-to-edge glue-up, enough to leave a ridge
that's too big to remove with just a few passes with a card
scraper. I found that I can get better alignment, faster, without
the biscuits.

I understand how that can happen but I've not really had problems with
it. I've been using Porter Cable biscuits and keep them in a pretty
stable environment so they don't swell.

I did once use a bag of generic biscuit and found more variation though.