Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Outdoor tabletop

"Ignoramus25500" wrote in message
On 2016-08-18, Tom Gardner wrote:
I was given a high-end patio table and chair set; very well made!
However the glass top was broken. (that's why I got it)

What's the best way to replace the top. If I cut out a plywood 4'
ci9rcle, that will function but the weather will destroy it. Could it
be sealed to last for years? Or, should I use a different material?
The glass shop wants $125.

spend

I agree. If that's a heavy piece of plate glass suitable for the
application. $125 seems fair.

Epoxy seals plywood, but the sun eats the epxoy. Poly resin is much harder
to get to stick to the pkywood, and is not as waterproof. By the time you
do all that $125 seems cheap.

A 4 x 8 aluminum sheet would cost as much or more,. and would rub off on the
hands of your guests.

PVC foam board with a UV inhibitor maybe? Lloyd? You reading this. Does
such an animal exist? Would it be worth it? How bad would it sag?

Keep the chairs and pitch the table?

Put a giant potted plant in the middle?