Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Caution ! Metalworking Content

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 21:31:11 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
Yall may find this of interest...

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/tire-miles.php

None of the tires listed are designed for a heavy touring bike like
mine .

Does "Canyon Chasers" sound like a mild touring group to you? vbg
Most of the Bridgestones were touring tires, though, and got good
mileage with the racers. I remember seeing the guys on bikes damnear
horizontal on the curves of CA-74 between San Juan Capistrano and Lake
Elsinore in CA. There were many wrecks every month, usually with at
least one death. You'd see them pass you on the inside corner in the
other lane with their knee scraping. Luckily, I never saw a wreck.
They're gruesome. Speaking of which, look at this guy's luck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLQN4_gkYDo

Let's just say that you need to be careful if you run your hand along the
bottom edge of my footboards ... My 1990 Harley Ultra Classic has some mods
to the stock rear suspension , including chromoly steel/aluminum bronze
swingarm pivot bushings of my own design in place of the
steel/rubber/plastic/silicone composite OEM units .

I was accustomed to getting 10,000 miles or more from a rear tire
and about double that from a front . The only thing that has changed
on my end is where I live ... I could deal with getting 8k from a
rear tire , but less than 3500 is just totally unacceptable . The
only thing I can think is that the rubber compounds have been
changed .

Yeah, that's crap. I noticed an extreme change after moving from CA
to OR. The roads up here are much coarser and handle water better.
Tire mileage is a bit less, but I put just 6k on annually, so I
haven't really paid that much attention to it. I do like my corners,
though, so I burn through a bit more rubber than many folks would.
It's hard to break these loose in the Tundra, though.

How's the difference in roads where you used to live and where you
live now? Up here, when trucks go down the road, the whitewater is
minimal. In CA, you had to follow one from 1/4 mile back just to be
able to see the road in front of you. Needless to say, I prefer these
roads to CA's.

The roads up here are a little coarser than down in the Memphis area .
Here they use chip/seal surfacing on the roads using crushed rock rather
than the plain asphalt surfacing . I could see a reduction of up to 20-25%
in tread life , but not a reduction to less than a third . Car and truck
tires don't seem to have the same shortened life ...

Reviewing my logs , it looks like
each tire (based on several sets of Elite III's) has gotten fewer
miles ... the first set of EIII's I bought when they were first
introduced got 15k+ rear and nearly 32k front . It's all been
downhill from there .

Man, that's a tall mountain. Oh, you meant...

--
Snag