Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron D. Ron D. is offline

Default OT How does my car's AC work?

But the compressor never got shut off, and the AC is fully charged and
not subject to freezing, and most importantly I can run in any of
those 3 speeds for a long time and nothing changes.

--

You really need to do a "performance test" which is basically open the doors, run on outside air and measure the incoming temp/humidity (Use weather bureau for humidity) and discharge temps.

You should get between 15 and 20 degree difference in temperature. A lower difference, if the humidity is high.

The compressor really should never shut off in a more modern vehicle unless the evaporator is in danger of freezing. Freezing is possible if your using the AC when it's 40 degrees outside, which I frequently do.