Bob Urz

Default Slowing Electric Meters

- - ex - - wrote:
Bob Urz wrote:

Well, maybe there is some truth in it. I have a electronic meter.
There was a ice storm here and the meter was covered with ice for a
few weeks.
After the thaw, the power company called to ask if i was still in
business because i showed zero power use. Not sure if the ice around
it did it, but something zapped my electronic meter. I suppose now
people will be trying to freeze there meters.......

Bob

Don't the new remote reading meters communicate at 928 MHz or so? If
so, a shield of ice might effectively kill the signal in some instances.
Of course as soon as the ice melts its back to communicating the actual
reading again.

-Bill M

This was not a remote reading meter. Its the same size as the old
mechanical meters in a glass tub. It just has LCD read outs instead
of the old mechanical meter movements. It was alternately displaying
a number then going blank. Don't know if thats a error code or
normal.

Bob