Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Intresting Engine

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 21:15:53 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Here's a lovely tome into which one can get themself nicely lost:
http://tinyurl.com/hh2sdge 1800 Mechanical Movements...

I have the four-volume set of "Ingenious mechanisms for designers and
inventors". It's just FULL of good stuff, some (small amount) of which
I've employed on my machines for the miltary.

I just saw one copy of the set on Amazon for $750, while individual
volumes start at $0.54 used. g They sound like fun. I recently
picked up Practical Electronics for Inventors but haven't gotten to it
yet. At the end of this month (I'm retiring earlier) I'll have more
time to finish my hefty 'unread' bookshelf. Maybe even turn off
Kindle Unlimited again for awhile...

The use of ancient mechanisms in new military machinery is wildly
amusing to me. Physics doesn't change (much), and being able to use
old inventor's mechanisms in new ways is a great idea. Kudos.

I've also been buying and using vintage machinery all my life because
the old stuff is well designed and much cheaper than the new, while
being perfectly good for my uses. Granted, a $12k sliding table saw
makes a slightly better cut (0.1 RCH)than an old 10" cast iron jobber
(followed me home from Gunner's) but it also costs $12k more and would
take up over half my shop.

(Yeah, I know I got off-thread here with "vintage", but, just sayin'.)

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.