Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Okay to use lightweight thermalite blocks for bricking up awindow (cavity wall)

On 16/08/16 14:33, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 12:35:19 PM UTC+1, The Natural
Philosopher wrote:
On 16/08/16 12:30,
wrote:
Good day firends, Is it okay to use those grey, lightweight
Thermalite Aircrete blocks for bricking up a window in a cavity
wall? The outside of the wall will be rendered with sand &
portland cement afterwards. As it's just a window I want to brick
up, it will not be load bearing. I'm mainly concerned about the
moisture absorbtion tenedencies of these blocks. (They soak up
damp like a sponge, don't they? I'm not sure if that's an issue
or not. Does rendering stick to them okay?)

Many thanks,

JD

Justs fine mate. I've seen whole houses made of em.

Put a vapour barrier inside tho

Thank you! When you say 'vapour barrier', do you meaning something
like sheet foam polystyrene inside the cavity? The existing walls
have 30mm sheet polystyrene inside the cavity. If I emulate this when
I brick up the window with thermalite blocks, will this serve okay?

I didn't. I meant more like a sheet of polythene first. But it will
probably be fine with the polystyrene

JD

JD

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler