Posted to alt.home.repair
dream weaver dream weaver is offline

Default 2 jobs that should be simple but... rain gutter and barrel rant.

On 8/16/2016 1:11 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 10:41:48 AM UTC-4, dream weaver wrote:
Rain harvest system

Oh sure. Sounds real simple.

Rain Gutters

Oh Sure. Sounds real simple.

Rain gutters are simple unless you have tilted fascia boards and you
didn't know they needed flashing until after you install them. Even with
youtube I seemed to make these two tasks as difficult as possible. The
outcome was good, up to now, but required more effort than I imagined
and I still have to put in another 20 ft of gutters.

I'm trying to equalize the pressure in the 55gal poly sealed rain
barrels (not stacked.) I have 1/4" vinyl tubing with grommets, elbows
and tees, but its a sealed system so the pressure can get relatively
high. not sure how high tho. Never put 1/4" vinyl tubing w/ grommets to
the test.

How can you wind up with high pressure in a gravity fed rain barrel?
I don't understand the pressure problem and having a sealed system
is nuts, because as water comes in, air has to go out.

+1

Both are correct. My IQ used to be relatively high. It isn't
(apparently) anymore.

I went ahead and finished the barrels. The pressure goes into the drain
in my system. I’d still recommend getting the seals on the grommets as
tight as possible. If the preasure doesn’t get released it builds and
the intake starts gulping. I can store about 30 gal more with the
semi-sealed system; at least. Already tested works great, but , if I did
it again, I’d go one step larger on the air hose just to be sure.

Review on the “Catch-a-raindrop” “colander” diverter. Yeah. It works but
I’m sure a couple more bucks would get you a way better diverter.

On these you can see the two manifolds on the four barrel system. One
for air and one for water.

On the two barrel system I used a overflow drain on the 30 gal
reservoir. A two system this way works great but continues to recycle
water through the system. Not a big deal. Way simple setup but only
about 80 gal.

http://www.safaricabs.com/rain.jpg
http://www.safaricabs.com/rain1.jpg
http://www.safaricabs.com/rain2.jpg
http://www.safaricabs.com/rain3.jpg
http://www.safaricabs.com/rain4.jpg
http://www.safaricabs.com/rain5.jpg
http://www.safaricabs.com/rain6.jpg
http://www.safaricabs.com/rain7.jpg
http://www.safaricabs.com/rain8.jpg
http://www.safaricabs.com/rain9.jpg
http://www.safaricabs.com/rain10.jpg
http://www.safaricabs.com/rain11.jpg
http://www.safaricabs.com/rain12.jpg

The last 3 are the gutters I installed. Look at the flashing. I put it
on AFTER I installed the gutters. Don’t ask. Install worked out nice
despite the boner mistake and added effort. That’s what I get for taking
UBoob so seriously. The wedges are measured using a plumb bob and
combination square.

This is me complimenting the guy that taught me how to install gutters
backwards.

Your video was so helpful. I did the same thing as you with the flashing
between the gutter and the fascia but it's very simple for me to adjust
the flashing in. Fortunately I'm only doing a simple install. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQiBaVIAaPI

Anyway…He’s pretty frunny-but if you install the gutters be sure to put
the flashing up first.

dw out