Posted to alt.home.repair
jt jt is offline

Default Rayovac batteries - leak problems?

replying to Jan Philips, jt wrote:
Just found this forum. I realize the thread is old but I believe my
experience is relevant.
Last week I tossed the second Mag Lite (3 D cell) flashlight that Rayovac
batteries ruined. This time was a repeat of the first time, the center cell
went bad and leaked and swelled - sort of welded to the flashlight body.
Like the first time, slamming the tube on the top of my workbench eventually
freed the battery but the switch shifts in the process and flashlight was
ruined. Having to pop for another MagLite ****ed me off.

If it was just the 2 flashlights (about 10 years apart) I probably wouldn't be
taking the time to even write this note, but during that time frame there were
other Rayovac leaks - the LED light set, the camera, and the rec room remote
control, and the battery organizer. All had Rayovacs (but at least for those
the damage was not beyond repair and I was able to remove the batteries in
those and clean the equipment up). However, I'm fed up with having to spend
my time to fix problems caused by leaky Rayovac batteries and having to spend
money to replace Mag Lites. Plus I have a bunch of the batteries that I now
afraid to us.

I don't have receipts but I'm disgusted enough that sent a note to Rayovac -
we'll see what they say/do.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ms-609583-.htm