Sam Goldwasser

Default Slowing Electric Meters

(JhnWil875) writes:

Subject: Slowing Electric Meters
From: Sam Goldwasser

Date: 02/03/04 17:46 GMT Standard Time

All residential power
meters measure true power. So changing the power factor inside the
house - changing the phase relationship of V and I - isn't going to
have any noticeable effect on power measured.

That is interesting because some people swear that with the old style electric
disc meters there was a device that could make them go backwards, I have spoken
to someone who claimed to have done this for some reason.

Other people say that when 3 phase industrial electric motors are used a
special meter had to be installed because the motors would screw up the phase
and effect the accuracy of a normal meter, i read on an academic website today

As the other poster said, there are all kinds of urban legends. You need
to find some confirmed cases. You need more than a meter change to use
a 3 phase motor. kWhr meters are very carefully designed to accurately
measure true power and not be fooled.

how electricity is measured differently in different countries leading to up to
a 30% difference in reading between the different countries.

So what else is new?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:
http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.