Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tuesday Afternoon Tuesday Afternoon is offline

Default Caution ! Metalworking Content

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 08:08:22 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

May be detrimantal to ongoing political discussions ...

Today , since it's raining it's ass off and I can't work on the house
construction , I think I'll build a wheel balancing shaft and cones for the
motorcycles . I have a nice straight piece of half inch SS round stock and a
pair of ball bearings , both bought for this purpose some time ago . The
plan is to machine a pair of conical aluminum pieces that are a tight slip
fit on the rod , with set screws to retain them in tight contact with the
wheel bearings . Cones will be machined round behind the taper so they'll
slip into the seals , which will also help keep the wheel from rotating on
the rod . For support stands , I will be using a pair of jack stands set up
on a level surface .
A lot of people see no need to balance motorcycle wheels , but I have
found that my bike just seems to ride smoother if I do . Last tire change I
tried using the balance beads , and they seem to work , but are difficult to
"install" and costly . While I'm not sure they're to blame , I got less than
3500 miles on that rear tire . Tire is a Conti Milestone , touted as a "high
mileage tire for heavy touring motorcycles" . I have contacted Continental
tire and they want to see the tire ... new rubber is a Dunlop Elite III ,
which I've had good mileage from in the past .

I made one recently in about a half hour. 4 small bearings supporting
axle, mounted to some short stubs of angle on the tips of 2 X 4 legs.
Works beautifully. I'll use the time saved to cackle about Trump
gaffes while working on larger projects.