Posted to alt.home.repair
burfordTjustice burfordTjustice is offline

Default Electric usage with central AC in heatwave

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 09:54:28 -0700 (PDT)
trader_4 wrote:

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 12:34:41 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 10:07:13 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 10:19:57 PM UTC-4,
wrote:
If you get a chance or inclination some time, it would be a
good idea to install a hard wired surge arrester on your air
handler/furnace to protect that expensive ECM blower motor.
ECM's are more efficient but dang they're delicate! o_O

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster

I don't mean to go off-topic, but, what should I look for in
buying such a surge arrestor for my (mini split) AC? What words
should I look for? Do they come as part of a circuit breaker,
or are they something that goes in-line with the wire, but
after the main panel?

I used an Intermatic ig1240rc3 at the panel for whole house
protection. You install a new breaker and wire it to that. That
should protect everything that's only connected to AC, ie not
also connected to cable, telephone, etc., from incoming surges.
Putting additional surge protection right at a furnace with
electronics and ECM motor can't hurt.

When I was still working, the ECM motors for consumer AC systems
were just coming down in price enough that they were showing up in
mid grade equipment so most of what we were installing surge
protection on were the older PSC, Permanent Split Capacitor Motor
units. The protection still kept the capacitors from getting blow
out of them. Of course there were the vulnerable electronic control
boards in the heat pumps that also needed protection. The most
damage we repaired due to lightning and power surges was out in the
rural areas. I wonder if it is the density of ground paths in the
cities that protects a lot of equipment in those areas? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Damaged Monster

I would guess that cities have less exposed overhead distribution
wires that are near the building to get hit. Most cities here have
underground distribution.

Melting over head power lines in New York City
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/08/...heat-humidity/