Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric usage with central AC in heatwave

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 11:58:35 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 09:34:37 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 10:07:13 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 10:19:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
If you get a chance or inclination some time, it would be a good idea to install a hard wired surge arrester on your air handler/furnace to protect that expensive ECM blower motor. ECM's are more efficient but dang they're delicate!
o_O

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster

I don't mean to go off-topic, but, what should I look for in buying such a surge arrestor for my (mini split) AC?
What words should I look for?
Do they come as part of a circuit breaker, or are they something that goes in-line with the wire, but after the main panel?

I used an Intermatic ig1240rc3 at the panel for whole house protection..
You install a new breaker and wire it to that. That should protect
everything that's only connected to AC, ie not also connected to cable,
telephone, etc., from incoming surges. Putting additional surge
protection right at a furnace with electronics and ECM motor can't hurt.