Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing fuse box with consumer unit

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
This is a group comprised mostly of amateurs with a sprinkling of
professional contributors. I wonder what proportion of us (the group
users) would test each circuit when replacing a CU? Testing would
require the use of equipment that I think most of us wouldn't have,
beyond a multimeter.

I'd certainly test each circuit after installation before connecting to
the CU. Even a simple DVM will show up a major fault like a short. Or open
circuit. And a leaky heater element, etc.

If you have a suspect fault and are installing just a new CU, I'd do the
same. In my experience, the majority of faults will show on an ordinary
DVM if you know how to use it. Although obviously the correct test
equipment is better - but rather too pricey for most DIYers.

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.