Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxxx Fredxxx is offline

Default OT - generating electricity on a bicycle

On 15/08/2016 06:45, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 14 August 2016 17:36:00 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
On 14/08/2016 16:47, NY wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message
There is no such thing as a DC motor.
I've told you before.

So what type of voltage do you apply to a "low voltage DC motor"?

It runs on AC.

I don't see any transformation of DC to AC I apply to my car starter
motor? In fact all I have is a 12V battery and a switch.

Will a motor that is designed to run on DC turn if you connect it to AC?
No. It will buzz and vibrate. Will a motor that is designed to run on AC
work if you feed it DC? No. The rotor will probably give a convulsive
jerk and then stop.

A "DC motor" (one that is designed to run from a DC supply) has a
commutator to energise the various coils in the rotor, in sequence, as
the rotor turns through a stationary magnetic field from a permanent or
electro magnet in the motor casing.

The only person here who doesn't agree with that statement is Harry.

The current is reversed as it passes under a brush turning it into AC.

Are you now saying that you do apply DC to a DC motor?