Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default OT - generating electricity on a bicycle

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 01:34:54 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 13/08/2016 18:00, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 13 August 2016 15:21:15 UTC+1, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 10:49:29 +0100, Syd Rumpo wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:

There is no such thing as a DC motor.
I've told you before.

Yes there is. You are probably confusing something you read with
reality.

He's obviously oblivious to the concept of the homopolar motor, a
true
DC electric motor so well described he-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homopolar_motor

--
Johnny B Good

A laboratory device of little/no practical use.
There's one he-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbCN3EnYfWU Doesn't it look useful?

I can't believe how ignorant you are, from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homopolar_motor
"B. G. Lamme described in 1912 a homopolar machine rated 2,000 kW, 260
V, 7,700 A and 1,200 rpm with 16 slip rings operating at a peripheral
velocity of 67 m/s. A unipolar generator rated 1,125 kW, 7.5 V 150,000
A, 514 rpm built in 1934 was installed in a U.S. steel mill for pipe
welding purposes."

If you think you can wriggle out of claiming a DC motor isn't a DC
motor, and then claim a unipolar device has no practical use you should
consider seeing your doctor or simply stop spouting your ignorance on
subjects you know nothing about.

My apologies for not directly responding to Harry's attempt to respond
to my follow up to your post but I have him killfiled so only see his
activity via quotage.

Quite frankly, he didn't deserve responding to since he neglected to
follow that wiki link, preferring to find something else off youtube as
an example to back up his unsubstantiated claim that homopolar motors are
*only* toys with no real world applications.

Quite clearly, you're only wasting your own time by "Confusing him with
Facts" that conflict with his own preconceived ideas. :-)

The only reason why I bothered to 'jump in' was simply to post that
wikipedia link so that anyone in doubt and in danger of accepting Harry's
false assertions as even remotely plausibly true would see these
assertions for what they are, a load of bollix!

--
Johnny B Good