Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default Replacing fuse box with consumer unit

On 14/08/2016 12:45, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/08/2016 09:17, Michael Chare wrote:
On 14/08/2016 05:22, John Rumm wrote:

You are likely to find that all 8 way boxes have a very similar layout
and that is likely to be different from your current CU. So arm yourself
with some suitable lengths of wire, and decent quality crimps (+tool) so
that you can extend the ones you need to. (you can also het a bit of
wiggle room by choosing the ordering of the MCBs to suite the wire
lengths you have).

Thanks, I just bought a Screwfix crimp tool to mend my hob!

Would these be suitable crimps:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-X-Asso...AOSw3KFWgil T

They look like the right kind, however for this application I would play
safe and order something branded from CPC

Any need for additional insulation such as tape and/or heat shrink?

Not when extending individual wires inside the CU - only if you are
crimping cables outside.

Are RCBOs a good idea?

Yes. All RCBO setups are a top end solution - but it will cost more. It
gives the best levels of RCD discrimination available. (i.e. the effect
of a fault will be limited to the single circuit on which it occurs)

You may find a "high integrity" CU is a good compromise - that's one
where it has at least a couple of banks of MCBs with their own RCD, but
them also a couple of additional non RCD ways that you can fit RCBOs in.
So you can stick circuits with high leakage risk on their own RCBO, but
still lump together low risk circuits on shared RCDs.

Thanks for all your help.

--
Michael Chare

---