Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Replacing fuse box with consumer unit

On 14/08/2016 20:00, Michael Chare wrote:
On 14/08/2016 09:00, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Michael Chare mUNDERSCOREn
escribió:

This makes me wonder whether I should replace the fuse box with a modern
consumer unit, probably 8 way.

Beware that doing this can show up faults, such as shared neutrals, that
don't affect fused CUs. They can result in an RCD that trips and won't
reset.

The original wiring in this bungalow we recently acquired was done quite
neatly, but unfortunately the property has been modified.

I wanted to remove a 13 amp socket to make it easier to put on wall
paper so I thought I could just pull out the appropriate fuse.

I plugged a lamp into the socket and removed each fuse in turn. The lamp
never went out!

Each fuse in turn until you had no fuses at all, or where your replacing
the previous one as you moved to the next?

Its not uncommon to find someone has managed to bridge two circuits
together so that you need to pull two fuses to get the circuit to go dead.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |